Saturday, December 26, 2009

The True Meaning of Christmas!!

This year was a Porter Christmas, so we spent a very noisy, crazy, funny, food filled weekend at the Rhoud and Susan's. Brittany made a prime rib roast - which I am hoping becomes a family tradition - it was SO good! That evening, Grandma helped the kids get dressed up and act out the Christmas story as Brittany read it aloud. The kids were a little too young, and the only one that was old enough to understand what to do, wouldn't participate. But it was still fun to watch. Janey was originally going to be Baby Jesus, but she didn't quite make it - she fell fast asleep about 15 minutes before the production began. Consequently, Holly's baby doll played the role of Baby Jesus. Holly was Mary (since she was the only grand daughter there and awake), Aiden was Joseph - I think - he switched parts a lot. Ryan was the donkey that carried Mary to Bethlehem. Nick and Scotty were angels - again, parts changed a lot. Scotty was also a Wise man at one point, depending on what costume he wanted to wear. Chris and Scott even got into it and dressed up as Wise men. Grandpa held the manger while Holly laid Jesus in it.

As we read the story of our infant Savior as a family, I couldn't help but think of how blessed I am. I have a Savior that came to this world with the goal of Our Father; "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man". And it is only through that Savior that I will be able to live with my beautiful family forever. To live with my family forever. Nothing in my whole life has ever sounded so sweet. For a few minutes that evening, I forgot about the stresses of Scott not having the job that he wants, not having the money to afford a new camera. I forgot that my house needed to be cleaned before Santa came, and that I still had a mountain of laundry waiting to be washed in the laundry room. I forgot about the world and focused on my family - My Beautiful Family.

Scotty was really into the story Aunt Brittany was reading. He stayed on her lap for most of the time.







Aden and Nick - two cousins - stopping for a quick picture before they go get into more trouble!!

Cute little Kevin -


Christmas morning came for our little family bright and early. Scotty woke up at 7am, and for once, I was OK with that.

Scotty's stocking - he used Dad's from when he was a kid. One of these days I will finish his stocking I am making him... it's just a bit harder that I anticipated!
Janey's stocking. She used mine from when I was little. Scott and I made each kid a little fleece blanket as well.
As he came upstairs he was a bit confused, both at all the present and the fact the Dad was across the room with a camera pointed in his direction (he probably wouldn't have thought twice about me having the camera:)).

Even though we had bought him a Leap Frog Train set ($3 this past summer at a yard sale!! - go me!) he went straight for Jane's Gum Ball toy. He loved pushed the lever to make it play a song as the balls came out the bottom.

Scotty's also got a Tickle-Me-Elmo ($1 at DI!!) and a few Elmo related presents.

Janey enjoyed playing with the wrapping paper - of course! She also had fun watching her brother play with her presents - I don't plan on that lasting long. My big present this year was my dining room table, and although we don't have a house big enough to put it in yet, I am still grateful to a sweet husband that spoils me as much as he can. I think my favorite gift that I got on Christmas was the cross stitch that Itsy made me. It was beautiful - of course. Scott got a new electric razor, a few books, and a new game. We got more presents from parents and siblings as well. We really did get spoiled this year!


Later on Christmas Day - Janey is snuggling with Grandpa - one of her favorite spots!!

No comments: