Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yes, We Really Did Go to Moab...

... and here are the pictures to prove it!!

I mentioned forever ago that we were going on a little family vacation to Moab. I promise I wasn't lying. We did actually go, and we had to much fun! It has just taken me forever to post about it.

The trip was Hyrum's idea, and he was awesome enough to invite us to go along. Brie, Claire, Jay and Kassie, as well as a couple of Hyrum's friends, Paul and Heather (who turns out is a distant cousin of mine) and their baby girl, Chloe came as well.

The trip down to Moab was a trip in itself. It took us FOREVER to get there. We left Thursday night, and stayed the night at Hy's. Since the kids woke up way early, we decided to get an early start on the drive and left around 7:30am. After stopping for food (twice), stopping for potty breaks (3 million times - joys of traveling with a potty training little man), missing our exit and not realizing it till we were an hour past the exit (which added about2 more hours of driving time), then missing our alternate route exit and not realizing it till we were 2o minutes past the exit (this time we went back for it, but it still added 50 minutes to our drive time when you include to potty break), stopping to look at some amazing canyons (twice, Scott needed a break from the screaming kids), stopping to gas up the car and milk up the sippy's, stopping at one yard sale (I needed a break from the screaming kids), and then spending 2 hours actually in Moab trying to find our campsite but unable to get a hold of anyone in our party because the campsite didn't have cell service, we finally arrived at our campsite around 6:00pm. Yeah, it was a long drive, and I don't want to talk about it. In fact, after this last sentence, I am going to erase it from my memory.

Dad trying to smile at the camera after listening to Little Einsteins play seven times and his kids scream for the last 1/2 hour to get our of the car.

One of the potty/Mom and Dad need to get out of this car breaks...

What drive? I slept the whole way. :)


Anyway, when we got there, someone had been nice enough to set up our for us. It was the first time we had used it, so when we saw it we were pleasantly surprised. I bought it at the beginning of the summer (on sale of course!!) and we love it. It is an eight person tent, so we had room for our queen air mattress, Jane's pack-n-play and Scotty's sleeping bag, as well as all of our bags and junk.

The kids were so tired each night, that they had no problem going to sleep at the same time. Scotty loved sleeping in a sleeping bag. He is so cute how he get's such a kick out of the simplest things.

Good night!!
Good morning!!


We spent most of our days playing in the river next to our site, driving through Arches National Park (during the kids' nap time car ride), biking, and relaxing in whatever shade we could find.

Playing in the river...

Arches...

Saturday night we went on a hummer ride up "Hell's Revenge", an extremely scary off-road course. We took the kids, strapped them in their car seats, and had our first hummer ride. I'll admit, I am a chicken. I have this terrible fear of heights, and riding with no doors, next to a 100 foot cliff, really didn't help my fears. I kept thinking "My kids need a Mom. My kids need a Mom."

Scotty and Scott had a blast. I was scared out of my mind. Jane wasn't impressed however. She was hoping for a little more excitement. Now, if there had been a puppy somewhere in sight, that would have gotten her attention:).
Falling off a cliff... good thing I am so strong, I could pull both Scott and myself back up:).
So, I am a screamer. I scream really loud when I get scared. Which tended to scare Scotty more than the actual event that caused me to scream. Sweet little guy, kept asking me if I was OK, and if it was scary. I had to learn not to scream, and if I did, then to look back at Scotty with a smile on my face and tell him how much fun I was having (which wasn't a lie, I did have fun, just really scary fun...).
A dinosaur footprint... Scotty was pretty impressed.
We had planned on leaving Sunday night, but Scott hadn't had a chance to go on a really good mountain bike ride yet, so I convinced him (not that it took much convincing) to call into work on Monday and take the ride Monday morning before it got too hot. He got to go up Slickrock, a famous mountain bike trail, and I am so glad. He had a lot of fun.

My "Slayer of Slickrock"...


After his ride he met up with Hyrum and Paul to do a little more off roading in Hy's pick up. And except for the flat tire and bike ride back to camp, they had a blast. (

I was in awe the whole time of the beauty that was around us. Everywhere I turned, there was a gorgeous mountain, stream, tree, flower that reminded me of the gentle grandeur of God. Each placed in their exact spot so that I could enjoy them. What a blessing to live in such a world. What a blessing to have such a loving God, that would give His children such a beautiful world. What a blessing to share this with my own beautiful children.
Scotty wanted me to get a picture of this rock. He kept saying "Smile rock". Man I love that kid!

The drive home was thankfully, less eventful than the drive down. The kids were exhausted from the weekend, so they slept the last 3/4's of the way. Which meant some great chatting between my sweet husband and I, as well as naps for both of us.

No comments: